About this course
The overall aim of the MSc Marketing course is to provide an academically challenging, intellectually stimulating programme of study that educates, develops and enhances the professional competence of students of marketing and business.
The course is designed to help build your knowledge, transferable skills and capabilities to prepare you for middle and senior appointments within public, private and social economy sectors in the global business arena.
This programme is also available as MSc Marketing with Advanced Practice, which includes either an internship or project.
The aims of this course are to:
- Provide an advanced study of business and management with a particular focus on marketing
- Prepare you for a career in marketing and business by building the transferable skills necessary for marketing management at a variety of levels
- Develop your ability to apply knowledge and critical understanding of marketing and business to complex issues, both systematically and creatively, to improve entrepreneurial marketing and business practice
- Enhance your lifelong learning skills and personal development to work with self-direction and originality and to contribute to business and society at large
- Critically evaluate the application and impact of marketing theories and concepts to practical marketing problems
- Develop strong transferable skills of logical reasoning, creative thinking, effective communication and the ability to critically evaluate contemporary issues
- Acquire the skills necessary to conceive, design and implement a substantial research project
- Cultivate highly developed lifelong learning skills and an appreciation for continuing personal and professional development, through self-directed and reflective learning
We employ a wide variety of teaching and learning methods across the various modules of this course, depending on the nature and priorities of each module. You will be taught using a mix of lectures, seminars, tutorials and workshops, around 12 hours per week.
In addition to your time in class, you will be expected to engage in approximately 30 hours of self-study time per week.
You’ll be taught by experienced lecturers who will bring practical business related experience into the classroom to enable students to understand how business works in the real world.
You will have access to Blackboard, our online learning environment, where you can access module resources and reading lists that will assist your preparation for classes and self-study.
Each module is assessed by coursework only.
Careers and progression
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be well placed to apply for a range of marketing positions across public and private sector organisations.
Additionally, the skills you will learn on the MSc Marketing will prepare those who choose to set up their own business.
The average starting salaries for graduate trainees in marketing is £21,461, the average the salary for a marketing manager is £37,305, a senior brand or product manager earns an average salary of £48,296 and the average salary for a marketing director is £77,799.
All modules are core.
This module aims to review and enhance participants’ existing academic writing skills in contexts relevant to the modules it complements. It will also introduce skills and frameworks specific to postgraduate study, with weekly opportunities for participants to transfer these elements to their own assignments and to obtain feedback on their progression. As it provides the skills required to succeed in all written assignments, this module is compulsory
The aim of this module is to provide students with a framework of knowledge from which they can understand and critically analyse the strategic goals of management, appropriate organisational structures and management’s role in delivering strategic goals, as well as identify suitable strategies to enable organisational growth.
This module serves to raise students’ awareness of the theories and practices of strategic management. While the module covers a range of strategic issues relating to the ethos of organisational planning and sustainability, it also places emphasis on recognising and capitalising on competitive business opportunities through the lens of innovation.
The aim of this module is to reflect the ethos of creating a collaborative learning ecosystem wherein issues are explored at the student, practitioner and academic interface. Outcomes of this research-driven approach to teaching, learning and assessment offer commercial relevance and impact.
This module focuses on themes of internationalisation and issues including government policy, market entry modes and exporting. You will be able to advance your understanding of the challenges faced while operating in an international marketing environment.
This module enables you to gain theoretical and practical insights into the ways in which SMEs approach marketing in a digital world. You will discover the importance of social media marketing to enhancing the technological and global dimensions of strategic marketing in small and larger firms alike.
This module provides students with an understanding of qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods in order to conceptualise and develop a project portfolio. It enables students to develop digital literacy skills in order to collect, analyse and report on data from a variety of digital sources.
The Entrepreneurial Marketing module allows you to review, reflect on, and critically evaluate marketing theories through the lens of the entrepreneurial manager. You will discover why marketing is a core but largely undervalued component of new venture creation.
This module enables students to apply knowledge and skills acquired throughout the course to an organisational issue or problem. This follows from Marketing Analytics module and feeds into developing skills of a Marketing Consultant.
The course information displayed on this page is correct for the academic year 2020/21. We aim to run the course as advertised however, changes may be necessary due to updates to the curriculum (due to academic or industry developments), student demand or UK compliance reasons.
Applicants must hold at least:
- A 2:2 (second class) honours degree or International equivalent, in any discipline
In exceptional circumstances, if you do not meet the entry requirements above but have substantial and significant experiential learning, you may be able to apply as a non-standard applicant.
Alternatively, you may be eligible to study our Extended MSc Marketing which integrates our Graduate Certificate programme to allow entry for students with equivalent to a standard degree (third class, pass or ordinary). Upon successfully completing the Pre-masters Graduate Certificate with a minimum overall mark of 50%, you will be guaranteed progression on to the MSc Marketing.
Check your country-specific entry requirements.
If you’re not sure about your qualifications, contact us and one our team will contact you to discuss your options.
English language requirements
Applicants must satisfy our general entry requirements as well as meeting specific requirements.
The general entry requirements are any of the following:
- IELTS 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5, or equivalent
- HKDSE English Language – Grade 4 overall with no less than 3 in any of the 4 sub skills
- Indian Standard XII English – Minimum of 70% (in Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or Indian Certificate in Secondary Education (ICSE) only)
- WAEC – C6
If you do not have the required IELTS, you may be eligible to study on our Pre-Sessional programmes.
If you have IELTS 5.5, with a maximum one score of 5.0, you may be eligible to study on our Pre-Sessional Standard programme.
If you have IELTS 5.0, with a maximum one score of 4.5, you may be eligible to study on our Pre-Sessional Plus programme.
Tuition fees for 2020/21
- UK/EU: £5,150
This course is eligible for postgraduate government funding. Please contact us for details.
Please note that for UK/EU students who are financing their studies through the postgraduate loan, you will be required to make a deposit payment of £250 at enrolment, this amount will be deducted from the total tuition fee. This does not apply to progressing students who are currently studying at the undergraduate level with us.
- London: £12,500
- Birmingham: £11,000
Tuition fees for 2021/22
- UK: £5,150
- London: £12,750
- Birmingham: £11,250
Please note that the fees outlined are for your tuition only and do not include the cost of any course books that you may choose to purchase, stationery, accommodation etc. As an Ulster University London and Birmingham branch campus student you will also have access to our on-campus libraries and a range of e-learning resources.
The modules you will study may require you to purchase additional course textbooks and you should be prepared to buy some additional texts, we recommend allowing an additional £180 for the duration of your course.
What does my tuition pay for?
- Your teaching in class – this includes seminars, lectures and tutorials
- Access to facilities including computers, Wi-Fi, printers, lockers, multi-faith rooms, quiet study space and social areas. To learn more about available facilities please visit our London or Birmingham branch campus pages
- Our library service – both on-campus and an extensive online catalogue of resources
- Careers and Employability Service which provides help with CVs, applications and interview preparation through workshops, drop-ins and 1-2-1 appointments
- The ACE Team (Academic Community of Excellence) who are here to support you with your studies and assignments
- Students Activities Association (SAA) – who organise events on campus, discounted sightseeing trips and help students create and run societies
Scholarships and discounts
To support you in financing your studies, we offer a range of scholarships and fee discounts that you may be eligible for.
How to find out more
To find out more about this course, we recommend that you complete our enquiry form and one of our team will contact you to discuss your options.
How to apply
UK and International students can apply directly to study MSc Marketing via our online application form below.
If you’re not sure or have any questions about studying with us, please contact us and one of our team will be able to help.