|Level of study:||Pre-Masters|
|Tuition fees 2021/22:|
International: £16,750 (London) £15,000 (Birmingham)
A third class, pass or ordinary degree, or equivalent
|English language requirements:|
IELTS 6.0 with no component less than 5.5, or equivalent
Other English language tests are accepted, click here to find out more.
|Mode of study:||Full-time - daytime, or evening and weekend|
|Start dates:||January (London only), May, September|
Response to Covid-19: Our focus is on providing a safe and welcoming learning environment for our students. We have taken every measure, in line with Government guidance, to ensure continued access to learning.
As part of our response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we plan to deliver this course combining face-to-face, on-campus learning, with online learning activities, continuing to follow Government guidance and social distancing measures as required. As restrictions ease, face-to-face opportunities will be increased as appropriate and it is safe for us to do so. Our plans are based on public health advice and robust risk assessments and will be regularly reviewed and updated in that context. More information about our response to Covid-19 and FAQs are available here.
About this course
The Extended MSc Marketing course is an academically challenging and strategically relevant programme in advanced marketing study, with a particular emphasis on entrepreneurship. The course integrates the Graduate Certificate programme to allow entry for students with equivalent to a standard degree (third class, pass or ordinary).
This programme is also available as Extended MSc Marketing with Advanced Practice, which includes either an internship or project.
This programme has been designed as a bridging mechanism for students to progress from undergraduate to postgraduate study at Ulster. The integrated Graduate Certificate is a preparatory course that will provide you with a solid foundation in the skills needed for progression onto the MSc Marketing programme.
Students, who successfully complete the three modules of the Graduate Certificate stage and achieve a minimum overall average of 50%, will be in a position to progress directly to the 12 months MSc Marketing.
The programme is distinctive in exploring leading-edge thinking from scholarly sources, alongside a syllabus rich in the practical application of marketing. It has been designed in conjunction with senior marketing executives from the industry to address the strategic importance that companies must become more marketing focused and more professional and entrepreneurial in marketing practices.
Students will have the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills and insight in the following areas:
- Provide an advanced study of business and management with a particular focus on Marketing
- Prepare for a career in marketing and business by facilitating the development of enhanced transferable skills necessary for marketing management at a variety of levels
- Ability to apply knowledge and critical understanding of marketing and business to complex issues, both systematically and creatively
- Critically evaluate the application and impact of marketing theories and concepts to practical marketing problems
- Acquire the skills necessary to conceive, design and implement a substantial research project
- Lectures, seminars, workshops, guest speakers, with industry-specific knowledge, directed reading, electronic resources and case studies are combined to offer a unique and rewarding learning environment, totalling around 12 hours per week.
- Through the use of regular study groups, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively and learn from the experience of others’ work situations.
- In addition to time in class, you will be expected to engage in approximately 30 hours of self-study time per week.
- You’ll be taught by experienced lecturers who will bring practical business-related experience into the classroom to enable students to understand how business works in the real world.
- You will have access to Blackboard, our online learning environment, where you can access module resources and reading lists that will assist your preparation for classes and self-study.
Evening and weekend study
One of our study options available for UK/Home nationals includes evenings and weekends. This study option offers exactly the same levels of student support and the ability to balance your full-time studies with your personal life. Find out more about evening and weekend study options here.
All modules are 100% assessed by coursework.
Progressing on to MSc Marketing
The pass mark for the Graduate Certificate modules is 40% in each module. Upon successfully completing the Graduate Certificate with an overall minimum average mark of 50% across all modules studied and passed, you will be guaranteed progression onto the MSc Marketing.
Careers and postgraduate opportunities
Students should be eligible to apply for marketing positions across public and private sector organisations. Additionally, the skills acquired through completing the programme have inspired some to set up their own businesses.
The average starting salary for graduate trainees in marketing is £21,461. The average salary for a marketing manager is £37,305, a senior brand or product manager earns an average salary of £48,296 and the average salary for a marketing director is £77,799.
All modules are core and 20 credits unless specified.
The module will be of benefit to those international and home students whose research skills need to be enhanced and/or evidenced before progressing on to Masters level education. It will provide the relevant underpinning knowledge and understanding of research-related topics in business. Drawing on enhanced knowledge and understanding, students will also identify the range of research methods available before defining specific research aims and objectives.
While addressing philosophical issues and conceptual aspects underlying management research, it also focuses on quantitative as well as on qualitative research methods and techniques involved in practical application. It is expected that students will carry out an in-depth literature review to demonstrate academic crafting and writing skills, as well as advanced knowledge within the chosen discipline and appropriate research scope.
Academic skills differ due to cultural and language differences in teaching and assessment practices. The skills required for academic study in English present challenges for students of business and management. This module is designed to support students’ transition in the use academic writing conventions, critical thinking and effective presentation skills. It uses students’ existing knowledge and experience of English to explore techniques for reading academic texts in a range of areas of business and management.
This is a dynamic module which provides students with an opportunity to develop their capabilities in recognising, assessing and planning a new enterprise with a focus on the consequences of decision making in all aspects of enterprise development including marketing, sales, human resources, finance and operations.
This module aims to review and enhance participants’ existing academic writing skills in contexts relevant to the modules it complements. It will also introduce skills and frameworks specific to postgraduate study, with weekly opportunities for participants to transfer these elements to their own assignments and to obtain feedback on their progression. As it provides the skills required to succeed in all written assignments, this module is compulsory
The aim of this module is to provide students with a framework of knowledge from which they can understand and critically analyse the strategic goals of management, appropriate organisational structures and management’s role in delivering strategic goals, as well as identify suitable strategies to enable organisational growth.
This module serves to raise students’ awareness of the theories and practices of strategic management. While the module covers a range of strategic issues relating to the ethos of organisational planning and sustainability, it also places emphasis on recognising and capitalising on competitive business opportunities through the lens of innovation.
The aim of this module is to reflect the ethos of creating a collaborative learning ecosystem wherein issues are explored at the student, practitioner and academic interface. Outcomes of this research-driven approach to teaching, learning and assessment offer commercial relevance and impact.
This module focuses on themes of internationalisation and issues including government policy, market entry modes and exporting. You will be able to advance your understanding of the challenges faced while operating in an international marketing environment.
This module enables you to gain theoretical and practical insights into the ways in which SMEs approach marketing in a digital world. You will discover the importance of social media marketing to enhancing the technological and global dimensions of strategic marketing in small and larger firms alike.
This module provides students with an understanding of qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods in order to conceptualise and develop a project portfolio. It enables students to develop digital literacy skills in order to collect, analyse and report on data from a variety of digital sources.
The Entrepreneurial Marketing module allows you to review, reflect on, and critically evaluate marketing theories through the lens of the entrepreneurial manager. You will discover why marketing is a core but largely undervalued component of new venture creation.
This module enables students to apply knowledge and skills acquired throughout the course to an organisational issue or problem. This follows from Marketing Analytics module and feeds into developing skills of a Marketing Consultant.
The course information displayed on this page is correct for the academic year 2021/22. We aim to run the course as advertised however, changes may be necessary due to updates to the curriculum (due to academic or industry developments), student demand or UK compliance reasons.
- A third or a pass in a Bachelors degree in any discipline; or
- A pass in a non-honours degree with any classification in any discipline; or
- 3-year Diploma (DAZhuan) or equivalent (China only).
If you do not meet the entry requirements above but have substantial and significant experiential learning, you may be able to apply as a non-standard applicant.
For country-specific entry requirements, please visit the entry requirements page.
If you’re not sure about your qualifications, contact us and one of our team will contact you to discuss your options.
English language requirements
Applicants must satisfy our general entry requirements as well as meeting specific requirements.
- You will need to provide evidence of competence in written and spoken English (GCSE grade 4 – previously grade C – or equivalent).
The general entry requirements are any of the following:
- IELTS 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5, or equivalent
- HKDSE English Language – Grade 4 overall with no less than 3 in any of the 4 sub-skills
- Indian Standard XII English – Minimum of 70% (in Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or Indian Certificate in Secondary Education (ICSE) only)
- WAEC – C6
If you do not have the required IELTS, you may be eligible to study on our Pre-Sessional programmes.
Tuition fees for 2021/22
UK/Home students: £6,500 per annum
This course is eligible for postgraduate government funding. Please contact us for details.
- London: £16,750 per annum
- Birmingham: £15,000 per annum
Tuition fees for 2022/23
UK/Home students: TBC
This course is eligible for postgraduate government funding. Please contact us for details.
- London: £17,750 per annum
- Birmingham: £16,000 per annum
Please note: UK/Home students who are financing their studies through the postgraduate loan, you will be required to make a deposit payment of £1,350 at enrolment, this amount will be deducted from the total tuition fee. This does not apply to progressing students who are currently studying at the undergraduate level with us.
Please note that the fees outlined are for your tuition only and do not include the cost of any course books that you may choose to purchase, stationery, accommodation etc. As an Ulster University London and Birmingham branch campus student you will also have access to our on-campus libraries and a range of e-learning resources.
The modules you will study may require you to purchase additional course textbooks and you should be prepared to buy some additional texts, we recommend allowing an additional £180 for the duration of your course.
What does my tuition pay for?
- Your teaching in class – this includes seminars, lectures and tutorials
- Access to facilities including computers, Wi-Fi, printers, lockers, multi-faith rooms, quiet study space and social areas. To learn more about available facilities please visit our London or Birmingham branch campus pages
- Our library service – both on-campus and an extensive online catalogue of resources
- Careers and Employability Service which provides help with CVs, applications and interview preparation through workshops, drop-ins and 1-2-1 appointments
- The ACE Team (Academic Community of Excellence) who are here to support you with your studies and assignments
- Students Activities Association (SAA) – who organise events on campus, discounted sightseeing trips and help students create and run societies
Scholarships and discounts
To support you in financing your studies, we offer a range of scholarships and fee discounts for self-funding students that you may be eligible for.
How to find out more
To find out more about this course, we recommend that you complete our enquiry form and one of our team will contact you to discuss your options.
How to apply
UK and International students can apply directly to study the Extended MSc Marketing via our online application form below.
APPLY FOR SEPTEMBER 2021
|Birmingham||Apply for September 2021|
|London||Apply for September 2021|
APPLY FOR JANUARY 2022
|London||Apply for January 2022|
If you’re not sure or have any questions about studying with us, please contact us and one of our team will be able to help.