Response to Covid-19 – Updates for September 2020 intake: In the London and Birmingham branch campuses this Autumn, we plan to offer the opportunity to engage in some small group face-to-face teaching and other activities in London and Birmingham campuses, continuing to follow social distancing measures as required. This will be in addition to live online learning activities. Our plans are based on public health advice and robust risk assessments and will be regularly reviewed and updated in that context. More information about our response to Covid-19 and FAQs are available here.
About this course
This Pre-Masters programme has been designed as a bridging mechanism for students who wish to progress from undergraduate to postgraduate study at Ulster and will lead to a distinct award, the Graduate Certificate in Business.
The programme lasts for 1 semester and consists of 3 modules. The programme covers study skills as well as elements of a pathway course.
You will have the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills and insight in the following areas:
- The learning styles required for academic purposes at postgraduate level
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills to draw reasoned conclusions from data and make appropriate recommendations
- The ability to use academic literature and a wide range of research and evaluation methods
- Use a wide range of research methods to critically evaluate concepts, arguments and evidence in an objective manner
You will be taught using a wide variety of teaching methods across the modules including lectures and seminars, totaling around 12 hours. In addition to your time in class, you will also be expected to engage in approximately 30 hours of self-study time per week.
You will get an excellent preparation for masters level study from highly experienced lecturing staff.
You will have access to Blackboard, our online learning environment, where you can access module resources and reading lists that will assist your preparation for classes and self-study.
Assessment for the Graduate Certificate (Pre-Masters) will be through coursework.
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Certificate with a minimum average of 50% across all modules, will be in a position to progress on to one of our Masters programmes in London or Birmingham.
Progression on to the MBA is conditional on passing the Graduate Certificate with an overall pass mark of at least 50% at the first attempt and normally the possession of 2 years’ relevant work experience.
The Graduate Certificate also serves as a stand-alone, internationally recognised qualification which will be awarded upon achieving a pass of 40% in each module.
Please note: International students progressing on to the MBA, MSc Marketing or MSc International Business will need to apply for a second visa if the Graduate Certificate is studied as a standalone programme. Alternatively, you can study the Extended MSc Marketing or Extended MSc International Business.
All modules are core.
The module will be of benefit to those international and home students whose research skills need to be enhanced and/or evidenced before progressing on to Masters level education. It will provide the relevant underpinning knowledge and understanding of research-related topics in business. Drawing on enhanced knowledge and understanding, students will also identify the range of research methods available before defining specific research aims and objectives.
While addressing philosophical issues and conceptual aspects underlying management research, it also focuses on quantitative as well as on qualitative research methods and techniques involved in practical application. In order to facilitate student learning and development, there are both theoretical and practical elements to this module. It is expected that students will carry out an in-depth literature review to demonstrate academic crafting and writing skills, as well as advanced knowledge within the chosen discipline and appropriate research scope.
Academic skills differ due to cultural and language differences in teaching and assessment practices. The skills required for academic study in English present challenges for students of business and management. This module is designed to support students’ transition in the use academic writing conventions, critical thinking and effective presentation skills. It uses students’ existing knowledge and experience of English to explore techniques for reading academic texts in a range of areas of business and management.
This is a dynamic module which provides students with an opportunity to develop their capabilities in recognising, assessing and planning a new enterprise with a focus on the consequences of decision making in all aspects of enterprise development including marketing, sales, human resources, finance and operations.
The course information displayed on this page is correct for the academic year 2019/20. We aim to run the course as advertised however, changes may be necessary due to updates to the curriculum (due to academic or industry developments), student demand or UK compliance reasons.
Applicants must hold at least:
- A third or a pass in a Bachelors degree in any discipline; or
- A pass in a non-honours degree with any classification in any discipline; or
- 3 year Diploma (DAZhuan) or equivalent (China only).
Check your country-specific entry requirements.
If you are unsure whether your qualifications meet the entry requirements, please contact us and one of our team will contact you to discuss your options.
English language requirements
Applicants must satisfy our general entry requirements as well as meeting specific requirements.
You will need to provide evidence of competence in written and spoken English (GCSE grade 4 – previously grade C – or equivalent).
The general entry requirements are any of the following:
- IELTS 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5, or equivalent
- HKDSE English Language – Grade 4 overall with no less than 3 in any of the 4 sub skills
- Indian Standard XII English – Minimum of 70% (in Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or Indian Certificate in Secondary Education (ICSE) only)
- WAEC – C6
Tuition fees for 2020/21
- London: £4,000
- Birmingham: £3,750
- £1,350 (not available as standalone programme)
Upon successful completion of your Graduate Certificate, self-funding students may be eligible for a scholarship or discount when you progress on to one of our masters programmes. Find out more about our scholarships and discounts.
Please note that the fees outlined are for your tuition only and do not include the cost of any course books that you may choose to purchase, stationery, accommodation etc. As an Ulster University London and Birmingham branch campus student you will also have access to our on campus libraries and a range of e-learning resources.
The modules you will study may require you to purchase additional course textbooks and you should be prepared to buy some additional texts, we recommend allowing an additional £135 for the duration of your course.
What does my tuition pay for?
- Your teaching in class – this includes seminars, lectures and tutorials
- Access to facilities including computers, Wi-Fi, printers, lockers, multi-faith rooms, quiet study space and social areas. To learn more about available facilities please visit our London or Birmingham branch campus pages
- Our library service – both on-campus and an extensive online catalogue of resources
- Careers and Employability Service which provides help with CVs, applications and interview preparation through workshops, drop-ins and 1-2-1 appointments
- The ACE Team (Academic Community of Excellence) who are here to support you with your studies and assignments
- Students Activities Association (SAA) – who organise events on campus, discounted sightseeing trips and help students create and run societies
How to find out more
To find out more about this course, we recommend that you complete our enquiry form and one of our team will contact you to discuss your options.
How to apply
UK/EU and International students can apply directly to study the Graduate Certificate (Pre-Masters) via our online application form below.
If you’re not sure or have any questions about studying with us, please contact us and one of our team will be able to help.