|Level of study:||Pre-Masters|
|Tuition Fees||Fees and Finances|
A third class, pass or ordinary degree, or equivalent
|English language requirements:|
IELTS 6.0 with no component less than 5.5, or equivalent
Other English language tests are accepted, click here to find out more.
|Mode of study:||Full-time|
|Assessment method:||Coursework (may include class tests)|
|Start dates:||January, May, September|
About this course
Do you wish to make an impact in the world of business?
Do you dream of working in a global industry?
This programme is specifically designed to enable you progress towards the next steps in your career, equipping you with key skills so you can become a leader in tomorrow’s global business world.
With an integrated Graduate Certificate programme, this extended route is the perfect preparation to make sure you can succeed in your postgraduate studies.
Become an expert in the macro and micro contexts of international business, developing highly employable skills such as strategic management, leadership, business development and more. With careers in international business expected to grow by 8% between 2016-2026 (Collegefactual, 2021), now is the time to pursue the career of your dreams.
With this programme, you will learn about international business theory and how to put it into practice for the best possible outcomes. You will become an expert in international business practice and develop all the crucial skills needed to succeed.
- Learn from expert lecturers with practical business-related experience
- Develop skills in financial theory, decision-making and strategy development
- Boost your employability by exploring global marketing and international entrepreneurship
- Choose between a Dissertation or Applied Research Project option
- Make the most of technology through Blackboard, our online learning environment, allowing you to access module materials and reading lists
The Extended MSc International Business integrates the Graduate Certificate programme with our standard MSc Marketing programme, allowing you entry with qualifications equivalent to a standard degree (third class, pass or ordinary).
- Gain a solid foundation in the skills needed for postgraduate studies
- Progress straight into the MSc International Business after passing the Graduate Certificate stage with a minimum overall average mark of 50%, and a pass mark of 40% in each Graduate Certificate module
This programme is also available as Extended MSc International Business with Advanced Practice, which includes either an internship or project.
|Teaching and Assessment|
|Lectures and seminars:||12 hours per week|
|Independent study:||30 hours per week|
|Assessment:||Coursework (may include class tests)|
Careers and postgraduate opportunities
Businesses are increasingly conducted on a global scale, making this future-focused course ideal if you wish to progress in a business or international career and achieve your ambitions.
Developing skills that are industry-focused and transferrable, you will be the ideal candidate for jobs in a variety of fields and sectors.
- Project Management
|Competitive job roles this programme might open up for you:|
|Business Development Manager||Management Consultant||Human Resources Officer|
|Marketing and Sales Director||Project Manager||Account Manager|
|Marketing Executive||Business Analyst||Data Analyst|
International Business reading:
- Choosing to Study MSc International Business
- Modern Careers for Modern Students
- Study Business at our London and Birmingham Branch Campuses
All modules are core and 15 credits unless specified.
The Research for Business module will be of benefit to those international and home students whose research skills need to be enhanced and/or evidenced before progressing onto Masters level education.
- Develop valuable teamworking, visual/verbal presentation and reflective writing skills to research the key external factors that influence businesses and organisations
- Gain an understanding of researching a specific business or organisation using appropriate research models.
- Explore the factors used in the environmental scanning component of strategic management.
Academic skills differ due to cultural and language differences in teaching and assessment practices. This module is designed to support students’ transition in the use academic writing conventions, critical thinking and effective presentation skills.
- Develop the ability to communicate in an academic context
- Gain the skills in analysing and using source material in assignments
- Apply academic English to a higher level of study
This is a dynamic module designed to provide you with an opportunity to develop your capabilities assessing the potential success of a small business described in a provided case study.
- Explore elements of enterprise development including marketing, sales, human resources, finance and operations
- Learn to assess the immediate environment and factors that may hinder or facilitate the potential success a new enterprise.
- Understand the consequences of decision making in all aspects of the early stages of an enterprise and demonstrate an understanding of such topics as human resource management, supply chain & logistics, marketing, sales, finance and operations.
MSc International Business
Gain a fundamental introduction to skills and frameworks specific to postgraduate study, to help you make the most of your postgraduate degree.
- Assess and develop your academic writing skills
- Practise through weekly tasks and receive regular feedback for your improvement
- Become confident in the skills you will need to succeed in written assignments
Gain insight into the current uncertain and complex global context and the many challenges faced by businesses today.
- Understand what it takes to become the leaders and decision-makers of tomorrow
- Study key concepts and current trends in global business
- Get ready for a career in a multi-layered and international environment
- Develop flexibility and adaptability skills, and understand their importance both in the domestic, and regional and global contexts
Become an expert in key business theories and skills within an international business context.
- Gain an introduction to financial theory
- Explore techniques for entrepreneurship and managerial decision-making
- Develop skills for planning, control and funding throughout the business cycle
Global markets and export-led growth are expanding, while regional markets shrink – what does this mean from a marketing and sales perspective?
- Develop the knowledge, skills and expertise needed for international marketing
- Explore the marketing needs of SMEs and MNEs
- Understand the complexities of marketing internationally
- Learn how to make informed decisions to lead market development and growth through global sales development
Explore e-business and its practical application in a range of different contexts.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of e-business
- Learn to critically evaluate current practice on creating and managing an e-business
- Understand the implications of e-business for international business
- Analyse how to apply e-business technologies for a competitive strategy in an international business context
Explore multinational companies’ approach to people management and the issues related to it.
- Learn about key topics such as comparative employee relations, compensation, performance management and managing diversity
- Boost your career prospects with highly sought-after skills including communication and management
With 78% of small business owners saying their businesses are profitable (Guidant Financial, 2021) understanding the strategic management of an SME within an international market will bring you closer to achieving your career ambitions.
- Understand the importance of analysing structure, country-based sources of advantage and unique qualities for achieving a competitive position in international markets
- Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of the many organisational processes used to get to a competitive position
- Explore how to use these insights to translate strategy into organisational action
Research is imperative in making successful business decisions and is a key transferrable skill, sought by employers.
- Become confident in your research skills, even if you don’t have much research experience
- Gain fundamental knowledge, understanding and practical skills relevant to the international business research environment
- Boost your employability by developing highly desirable skills
The value was a record breaking 7.7 trillion US dollars in Q1 2022 (UNCTAD’s Global Trade Update, 2022). This makes international entrepreneurship and globalisation of small firms increasingly important.
- Explore enterprise knowledge and skills to develop an international entrepreneurial attitude
- Develop your personal international entrepreneurial skills and understand what it takes to succeed
- Learn to think creatively and problem-solve possible future scenarios
- Receive teaching through a variety of methods including lectures/tutorials, group and individual work and guest speakers, and learn to become a global citizen
And one of the following modules
Carry out research on a chosen topic within the field of international business, using all the skills and knowledge developed on this course.
- Receive advice and guidance by your academic supervisor throughout the process
- After successfully completing your 15,000-word dissertation, you will be awarded your MSc in International Business
Apply the theories and concepts explored on this programme to a real-life management issue.
- Choose and justify appropriate research methodologies, gather data and make conclusions and recommendations to an organisation
- After successfully completing your project, you will be awarded your MSc in International Business
The course information displayed on this page is correct for the academic year 2023/24. We aim to run the course as advertised however, changes may be necessary due to updates to the curriculum (due to academic or industry developments), student demand or UK compliance reasons.
- A third class or pass in a bachelors degree in any discipline, or equivalent; or
- A pass in a non-honours degree with any classification in any discipline, or equivalent; or
- 3-year Diploma (DAZhuan) or equivalent (China only)
If you are unsure whether your qualifications meet the entry requirements, please contact us and one of our team will contact you to discuss your options.
For country-specific entry requirements, please visit the entry requirements page.
English language requirements
- GCSE grade 4/C, or equivalent
- IELTS 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5, or equivalent
- HKDSE English Language Grade 4 overall, with no less than 3 in any of the 4 sub-skills
- Indian Standard XII English with a minimum of 70% (in Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or Indian Certificate in Secondary Education (ICSE) only)
- WAEC C6
We accept other English language tests too, click here to find out more.
If you do not have the required IELTS, you may be eligible to study on our Pre-Sessional programmes:
Tuition fees for 2023/24
- UK/Home students: £9,600
This course is eligible for postgraduate government funding. Please contact us for details.
- London: £19,700
- Birmingham: £17,750
|Included in your tuition fees:|
|Academic Support, including the Academic Community of Excellence (ACE) Team|
|Careers and Employability Service|
|Class hours (lectures, seminars and tutorials)|
|Facilities (computers, on-campus wi-fi, printers, vending machines)|
|Library resources, including a large online catalogue of books, journals and more|
|Social spaces (quiet study spaces, multi-faith rooms and spaces to socialise)|
|Student Support (Welfare Team, Finance Team and more)|
|Students Activities Association (SAA) who organise events, trips and societies|
Tuition fees do not cover the cost of subject books, stationery, printing and photocopying costs, accommodation, living expenses, travel, hobbies, sports or any other extracurricular activities.
The modules you will study may require you to purchase additional course textbooks and you should be prepared to buy some additional texts. We recommend allowing an additional £300 for the duration of your course.
Please note: UK/Home students who are financing their studies through the postgraduate loan, you will be required to make a deposit payment of £1,350 at enrolment, this amount will be deducted from the total tuition fee. This does not apply to progressing students who are currently studying at undergraduate level with us.
Information for international students
Ulster University is committed to providing the best possible experience to all our students. To ensure you secure your place with us, we require our international students to pay a deposit towards their fees. More information can be found here.
Scholarships and discounts
For self-funding students, we offer a range of scholarships and early payment fee discounts, you can find out more here.
How to find out more
To find out more about this course, we recommend that you complete our enquiry form and one of our team will contact you to discuss your options.
How to apply
UK and International students can apply directly to study the Extended MSc International Business via our online application form below.
APPLY FOR JANUARY 2024
|Birmingham||Apply for January 2024|
|London||Apply for January 2024|
Information for disabled applicants
At Ulster, we welcome applications from disabled students and are committed to ensuring an equal and accessible application journey. Your application will be considered on an equal basis to all other applications. Please contact us if you require any assistance. This website is continually optimised to adhere to accessibility best practice guidelines; tools to assist users with specific accessibility requirements have also been provided. More information is available in our accessibility statement.
If you’re not sure or have any questions about studying with us, please contact us and one of our team will be able to help.